Enjoy my Pear and Ginger Pudding!
- 200g butter
- 180g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 400g tin of pear halves, drained and sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 or 2 pieces stem ginger, grated
Serves 4 – 6
- Melt 75g of the butter and add 60g of the sugar and the grated stem ginger. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves to form a syrup.
- Add the pears and stir gently to coat with the syrup.
- Arrange the pear slices on the base of a lined, greased, 18cm round cake tin. Pour in the syrup.
- In a clean bowl or food blender, cream together the rest of the butter and sugar. Gradually add the eggs and then fold in the flour with the ground ginger and baking powder a little at a time. If you have the right consistency it should drop off the end of a spoon in a big dollop, if it’s too dry add a little of the juice from the pears.
- Spoon the cake mixture over the pears in the cake tin.
- Place in oven 190C/Gas Mark 4 for 35 – 40 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Allow to cool a little before turning upside down onto a plate. Serve with ice cream, cream or creme fraiche.